Realizing you or your child needs orthodontic work can be a daunting prospect. There are so many available options for treatment out there that it can be overwhelming to try and figure out the best one, like choosing between Invisalign® vs. braces. The most important thing is to figure out the treatment option that works best for you. Luckily, our experts at Unique Orthodontics are here to help.
What are Your Options?
The debate over Invisalign® vs. braces is challenging if you aren’t sure what either treatment option consists of. The good news is that both options achieve the same thing. Both Invisalign® and traditional braces work to straighten your teeth over time, both improving your smile and resolving any jaw-related oral health issues.
Traditional braces are made of wires stretched between tiny metal brackets that are attached to your teeth and gradually move them into the correct positioning in your mouth. Invisalign® is a newer treatment option and consists of plastic trays molded from your teeth and changed every so often to foster the movement and alignment of your teeth.
Invisalign® vs. Braces
Below are some pros and cons to help you learn more about Invisalign® vs. braces. Traditional metal braces are the most familiar image associated with orthodontic work. Invisalign® has been around for the last fifteen years but is rapidly becoming a more popular choice.
Pros of Braces:
- Braces are typically faster at moving teeth than Invisalign® and show improvement in a shorter period of time
- Seeing your teeth move faster quickly also helps build self-confidence
- They aren’t removable, so there’s no risk of losing them
- There are no extra steps for oral hygiene
Cons of Braces:
- The metal brackets can be slightly more uncomfortable
- Certain foods that are hard or sticky are difficult to eat
Pros of Invisalign®:
- Invisalign® trays are less visible than braces
- They are removable, so there are no limitations on what you can eat
- They are more comfortable than traditional braces
Cons of Invisalign®:
- The wearer must brush their teeth after every meal to avoid stains
- Invisalign® is less effective for more complex teeth issues
Keep in mind that when deciding between Invisalign® vs. braces, it is important to have the guidance and expertise of a trained and experienced professional to fully understand which treatment option is best for you or your child. The experts at Unique Orthodontics can help you determine whether or not you require more complex treatment, as well as your most cost-efficient option. Contact us today to book an appointment at our office in Tulare, Madera, Fresno, or Clovis.