Congratulations! Let’s preserve your new smile!
Wearing Your Retainers:
- For the 1st month after your braces are removed, wear your retainers full time (24hours/7 days a week)
- Remove them when eating and drinking.
- Remove them when brushing and flossing your teeth.
- Rinse retainers under cold water and gently keep clean.
- After 1 month, you can start to wear your retainers only at night time while sleeping (preferably 8-10 hours)
- Carefully remove and clean retainers.
- Keep retainers away from hot water or any heat. Do not place them in boiling water or leave them in a hot car.
- Place your retainers in your retainer box for safe keeping.
- If you notice that your retainers become loose, break or are lost, contact us right away (teeth can shift within hours!).
- Keep all of your retainer check appointments and remember to bring your retainers with you.
Keeping Your Retainers Clean:
- After eating or drinking anything other than water, brush and floss your teeth, as well as clean your retainers.
- Hold retainers in the palm of your hand or lay flat on a counter to brush.
- Only use cold water.
- Either chose to clean with toothbrush and toothpaste, or over-the-counter denture cleansers, or a Sonic Cleaner.
- Using the toothbrush and toothpaste method is for a minimum of 2 minutes.
- Using the OTC denture cleanser method is for a maximum of 10 minutes (no longer).
- The Sonic Cleaner can be found at some stores and online, this method is to be used for a maximum of 10 minutes (no longer)