CONGRATULATIONS! LET’S PRESERVE YOUR NEW SMILE!
Now that braces are off, you now have Essix retainers to stabilize the alignment of your teeth and need to wear your retainers as instructed as well as keep them clean.
WEARING YOUR RETAINERS:
- For the 1st month after your braces are removed, wear your retainers full time (24hours/7 days a week)
- Remove them when eating and drinking.
- Remove them when brushing and flossing your teeth.
- Rinse retainers under cold water and gently keep clean.
- After 1 month, you can start to wear your retainers only at night time while sleeping (preferably 8-10 hours)
- Carefully remove and clean retainers.
- Keep retainers away from hot water or any heat. Do not place them in boiling water or leave them in a hot car.
- Place your retainers in your retainer box for safe keeping.
- If you notice that your retainers become loose, break or are lost, contact us right away (teeth can shift within hours!).
- Keep all of your retainer check appointments and remember to bring your retainers with you.
KEEPING YOUR RETAINERS CLEAN:
- After eating or drinking anything other than water, brush and floss your teeth, as well as clean your retainers.
- Hold retainers in the palm of your hand or lay flat on a counter to brush.
- Only use cold water.
- Either chose to clean with toothbrush and toothpaste, or over-the-counter denture cleansers, or a Sonic Cleaner.
- Using the toothbrush and toothpaste method is for a minimum of 2 minutes.
- Using the OTC denture cleanser method is for a maximum of 10 minutes (no longer).
- The Sonic Cleaner can be found at some stores and online, this method is to be used for a maximum of 10 minutes (no longer)