You may need braces for your dental malocclusions, and to avoid breaking the wires of metal or ceramic braces, you should follow our orthodontist’s dietary plan, which includes foods to avoid with braces. Certain foods can damage your braces, so you will need to make adjustments in your meal plans, especially for a few weeks when you begin wearing the devices. While it might seem annoying that you can’t eat certain foods while wearing braces, if you follow our orthodontist’s recommendations, then you won’t have a disruption in your treatment plan.
List of Recommended Foods to Avoid with Braces
Here are some of the foods to avoid with braces, or foods to be cautious of, in order to achieve the best results during your treatment:
• Popcorn – the hard kernels can harm the brackets or wires.
• Fibrous vegetables – the strands can wrap around the wires.
• Potato chips – this snack tends to create a gummy substance on the braces.
• Bagels – this food can break the wires and brackets.
• Raw fruit – use caution with this type of food by chopping it into tiny bites.
• Caramel candies – this candy is too hard and sticky.
• Pretzels – this hard crunchy snack can damage your braces.
• Corn on the cob – you can cut the corn from the cob.
• Raw carrots or celery – cook these foods instead for safer consumption.
• Tough or chewy meat – tough meat such as beef, pork, or poultry.
• Nuts – hard nuts such as walnuts, almonds, or cashews.
• Corn chips – another tasty snack that you must avoid.
• Pizza – thick crust pizza is risky; thinner crusts are easier to chew.
• Marshmallows – will stick to your teeth and braces.
• Hard taco shells – choose the softer tortillas instead.
• Meat on the bones – avoid eating any meat from the bones.
• Peanut butter – all nut butters are bad for your braces.
• Candy bars – too hard or sticky from nuts or caramel.
• Hard cookies or crackers – bad for your braces brackets and wires.
• Fudge – may contain nuts that harm your braces.
You may also want to avoid foods and drinks that can stain your teeth while you’re wearing braces, such as coffee, tea, and dark sodas.
If you would like a more comprehensive list of foods to avoid with braces, or more tips on how to take care of your braces, simply speak with the educated staff at Unique Orthodontics. We are conveniently located in Fresno, Old Town Clovis, the Buchanan Area, Madera, and Tulare. Contact us today to schedule your appointment!