Does your lower jaw seem to protrude forward from the upper jaw? Does that make your smile look awkward? This situation may be an embarrassing one that may make you reluctant to smile and feel self-conscious frequently. Fret not because an adult underbite can be corrected. The experts at Unique Orthodontics can help you fix this orthodontic problem.
WHAT IS AN ADULT UNDERBITE?
An adult underbite is a malocclusion or misalignment of teeth seen in adults. The lower jaw protrudes forward and overlaps the teeth of the upper jaw. It may vary in severity from mild to severe, depending on how much of the upper teeth are overlapped by the lower ones.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES?
An underbite in adulthood usually persists from a childhood misalignment and is present since birth. Hereditary reasons are usually the cause, but other factors such as prolonged oral habits like thumb sucking or pacifier use may also be implicated.
WHAT ARE THE PROBLEMS CAUSED BY AN UNDERBITE?
An adult underbite can lead to uncomfortable social and functional problems such as:
- It makes your teeth look unaligned and unappealing, as the lower teeth cover the upper ones partially or completely.
- An underbite can undermine your self-confidence because it is not appealing aesthetically and may make you uncomfortable in social situations.
- A severe underbite can cause temporomandibular (TMJ) pain because the teeth do not meet in proper occlusion.
- The improper tooth positioning can result in eating difficulties.
- Speech may also be affected by an underbite.
- There may also be a heightened risk of developing dental decay and gum disease.
CAN AN ADULT UNDERBITE BE CORRECTED?
An adult underbite is usually difficult to treat with either conventional or Invisalign® braces. Treatment alternatives may broadly be divided into non-surgical correction, jaw expanders, surgical correction, and more. The good news is an adult underbite is a treatable condition, and a host of options are available. Schedule a consultation at Unique Orthodontics to learn about the available treatment options. For your convenience, we have locations in Fresno, Madera, Tulare, Old Town Clovis, and the Buchanan area. Contact us today to book an appointment.